31466 - EWS - Exclusive
Ahead of the landmark Toton open day in August 1998 there was furious activity behind the scenes at English Welsh & Scottish Railway as the company went hell for leather to show off a more enthusiast-friendly outlook with range of exhibits wearing the Wisconsin Central-inspired maroon and gold paint scheme. One of the highlights of the event was Bescot's 31466, that wore its new EWS livery well despite being built way back in 1959! A regular on freight and infrastructure work, it moved to Old Oak Common in May 1999 before finally being stored at the start of 2001. Happily it was acquired for preservation in 2007 by the Dean Forest Diesel Association and soon put back into service, the group gaining permission to retain the locomotive in EWS colours. Its currently based at the Severn Valley Railway where it sees regular use.